Sunday, May 16, 2010

Start with Why

People don’t buy what you do; they buy why you do it.

Check out the YouTube video link below with Simon Sinek.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qp0HIF3SfI4

Why do you do what you do? What’s your purpose, your motivation?

Here’s mine:

I believe there is a “New Normal” in the way talent needs to be acquired, developed and managed by organizations and by the talent themselves. I believe new career management models are required and that people need guidance in navigating the uncertain, often turbulent waters of the New Normal.

By writing about the changes I’m observing, I can help people navigate the New Normal.

I counsel and coach clients about how to navigate through their careers.

So what about you? Can you start with why and work towards what? Can you explain to a potential employer why you do what you do? Can you articulate your purpose, your motivation?

Wouldn't you rather work for someone – or an organization – who started with why?

4 comments:

  1. Great thoughts on defining a vision, and then marketing that vision.

    As a strategic planner, I see that this message cuts right to the heart of what it's all about.

    When there is a clear vision (which I would suggest is a close cousin to a 'why'), then the rest flows down (or 'out', as Simon Sinek might suggest), and everyone can get on board. When the vision is weak, then the day to day becomes very uninspiring.

    I guess my 'why' might be something like:
    Every company must be driven by a vision. This vision is the infectious inspiration that touches those it employs and those that it serves. I help companies clarify their vision (which now, I can remind myself should feel strongly like a 'why') and roll that vision out to form a mission and a strategy and a set of compelling offerings.

    Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mark. Good points, but remember, Sinek mentioned that the "why" is behavior focused rather than language focused - "it just dosen't feel right."

    Thus the company's vision must drive behavior - employees' and customers'.

    ~ Scott

    ReplyDelete
  3. Until I realized why I'm doing what I'm doing, I was miserable and unfulfilled in my jobs. Notice I said jobs. Now I know I'm working toward my calling, what I'm supposed to be working on. The two are very different. And they make you different people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kelly ... Thinking from the inside out = Feeling better about what you do. Thinking from the outside in = Confusion about what you do.

    ~ Scott

    ReplyDelete